For the sauce
- 1 cups vegetable oil, plus 1 tablespoon
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced extra small
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
For the burrito
- 1 large can whole green chiles
- 8 pieces cheddar cheese, cut into strips
- 1 cup flour
- 1 dozen eggs (separate whites from yolks)
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 cup refried beans
- For the sauce:
Place 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a small pot over a medium flame and allow oil to get hot.
- Add in tomatoes, onion and garlic. Cook in oil for 7 minutes.
- Add in tomato sauce, 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Mix until all ingredients come together. Lower flame and simmer.
- For the burrito:
Remove chiles from can and pat dry.
- Carefully stuff the center of each chile with a stick of cheddar cheese.
- Roll each stuffed chiles in flour.
- Remove chiles from flour and set on a cooling rack for flour to set while you make the egg batter.
- In a mixer set on high, whisk egg whites until they form a peak about 3 minutes. Carefully add in the yolks and mix until combined.
- In a large frying pan add in 2 cups of vegetable oil over a medium flame. Allow to heat for about 3 minutes.
- Drop each stuffed and floured chile in egg batter. Fry one at a time until golden crisp on the outside.
- Remove chile relleno from oil and place on a paper towel lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Heat a flour tortilla on a comal or open flame.
- Spread a thin layer of refried beans on the inside of the tortilla and place a chile relleno in the center.
- Fold both the top and bottom end of the tortilla toward the center, then roll the left side of the tortilla toward the right side.
- Pour sauce over the top. Serve and enjoy!
We suggest these recipes