- 2 cups whole oatmeal
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 star anise
- 1 Mexican chocolate tablet
- 1 cone piloncillo or regular sugar, to taste
- 10 cups water
- Place the oatmeal in a glass container with 3 cups of water and let it rest for about two hours. If you prefer, you may leave it overnight. The oatmeal will soften and become soft.
- Pour oatmeal and liquid from glass container of blender and blend until there are no lumps. If necessary, you may add more water. Strain it and place the liquid oatmeal in a large pot.
- Place the oatmeal on the stove; add rest of the water, chocolate, cinnamon and star anise. Cook over low heat until the chocolate melts and the champurrado has the desired consistency. Sweeten with piloncillo or sugar to taste.
- Prior to serving, remove the cinnamon and the star anise.
We suggest these recipes